Monday, October 11, 2010

dating diaries: big watch guy (part two)

“Wait. This is your homecoming day date?” I asked again, trying to figure out when or if he asked me to homecoming. He looked at me like I was insane.
“Yes. This is MY homecoming day date. My date couldn’t make it, so I begged my sister to find me a date. She must have called about thirty girls until she found you!” he laughed, the big watch clanking against the steering wheel.
Everyone found the fact that I was the only girl his sister knew that didn’t have plans supremely funny, they all laughed like it was the greatest thing ever. Tyler and Beth, Steve and Caitlin, and Kyle continued to chat about their next ballroom competition as I tried not to vomit.
We finally made it to the wilderness. I rehearsed a riveting story, about a recent ankle sprain in my mind to tell Kyle, so I should wait at the truck while they hiked. He grabbed my wrist, not hand, and began to pull me up the mountain. I tripped seventeen times. The other girls and I made small talk while the men found us a picnic spot. Fact: I think picnics are awkward. I just don’t understand the draw of eating in the dirt, outside with the bugs and such, and having to lug your food around in baskets that remind me of the kinds used at grocery stores. But, I’m a good sport on dates; we ate sandwiches with the animals in the dirt. It was then that the camera emerged.
I’m like most girls in that I don’t like to have my picture taken. So when they decided to have a photo shoot in the wilderness I blurted out, “I’ll take the pictures! Since, I’m not really in your homecoming group”
They, again, looked at me like I was insane.
After Tyler and Beth, Steve and Caitlin posed for a million pictures Kyle grabbed me by my wrist again.
“FINALLY! It’s our turn!” His outgoing ways began to annoy me.
We stood on this wooden fence, which made me nervous, for the pictures. We posed. I smiled and tried to will the camera to run out of batteries. No luck. He got down from the fence, I began to follow, but he knocked my knees out from under me and attempted to carry me. 
Ballroom dancers aren’t exactly known for their upper-body strength, now are they?
Part three coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. Wow... aren't you so VERY glad you're no longer in high school? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the pain. Please let it be over soon!

    ReplyDelete

speak and you shall be heard.