Sunday, June 12, 2011

the back tickles.

I didn’t know him.
All I knew was that he had on a pink tie and that he was about to speak to me.
                “Hi. I’m Derek. Do you want to tickle my back?”
One thing about us Mormon folk is our Sacrament routines. Keep the kids quiet with Cheerios and coloring pages. At least one baby is crying and has to be rushed out. The tiny deacons forgetting to pass to a row. Sitting in our pre-determined pews. Racing to find the hymns with the guy sitting behind you.
Or is that just me?
But one thing that I do not, repeat, do not participate in, or enjoy, is the back tickles. Often called scratching of the back. I find it awkward and embarrassingly intimate for public, let alone church. The twists and turns, the slow drumming of the fingertips. The rubbing. The touching. Ew. Not right kids. Not right. Hands to yourself.
                “My back tickles are earned, bud.” was my response.

1 comment:

  1. i love tickling people's backs.
    honestly, and sincerely.
    and i once had to tickle a boy i used to be friend's with backs during a joint young men and young women sunday meeting.
    it was.... awkward, to say the least.
    and my dad who worked with the deacons made me stop like two minutes in.
    hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete

speak and you shall be heard.